Although it is not always possible to control the factors which contribute to the development of prolapse, there are several recommended behavioral and physical adjustments which can reduce the risk. These include:
- Regular pelvic floor exercises, especially during pregnancy, after childbirth, and during menopause. These include Kegel exercises, diaphragm exercises, and massage.
- Avoiding constipation and tension during urination and bowel movements.
- Treating any chronic coughing conditions which may exist.
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Avoiding heavy lifting, and when lifting, bending at the knees and keeping a straight back.
The Leia Menstrual Cup is specifically designed for people with existing pelvic floor muscle issues or weakness. The cup is easy to use and prevents leaks during menstruation, while also reducing discomfort by providing additional support to the pelvic floor muscles. Leia Menstrual Cups are of course also suitable for people without pelvic floor muscle weakness, and thanks to their anatomically correct shape, provide comfortable period protection.